Monroe Green Everett was born on July 4, 1885 in McKenzie, Tennessee to John Edward Everett and Elizabeth C. Matheny. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Bethel College in McKenzie before receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree from Whitworth College in Spokane, Washington. He attended McCormick Theological Seminary and conducted graduate work at the University of Chicago, Oregon State College, and the University of Pennsylvania. In 1932, he received his Doctor of Divinity degree at Cumberland University.
Dr. Everett was ordained to the ministry of the Presbyterian Church in 1915. His first pastorate was in Camas, Washington. He then became director of the Westminster Foundation of the Presbyterian Church for Oregon, where he was in charge of student work at Oregon State College. Everett moved to Philadelphia and, for twelve years, served as director of the Westminster Foundation at the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel Institute, and Temple University.
Dr. Everett assumed the presidency of Trinity University on July 1, 1942. Under his leadership, the student body grew in number from 453 in 1942 to 3,181 in 1949, the faculty increased from 26 to 157, and the annual operating budget was expanded from $132,000 to $832,000. Everett sponsored a decision of the university to shift from a new campus plan of colonial design to one of functional design employing the revolutionary new Youtz-Slick Lift Slab method of construction. Dr. Everett became President Emeritus on August 15, 1950.
Monroe Everett died on June 4, 1964 in Clackamas, Oregon. He was survived by his wife, Margaret Myrtle Johnson, and three children: Marjorie Jean, John Rutherford, and Margaret Elizabeth. In 1964, the university created a formal resolution to honor President Everett’s devotion to Trinity.