Showing 128 resultsName
Walter Robert Huntley, Jr. was born on October 13, 1948, in San Antonio, Texas to Walter Huntley, Sr. and Elnora Huntley. Huntley attended Cambridge Elementary School, St. Peter Claver Catholic School, and Alamo Heights and Highlands High School. He enrolled at Trinity University in the fall of 1966, completing his degree in Biology in 1971, and a Masters in Urban Studies in 1973 under the tutelage of Dr. Earl Lewis. In 1977, he completed post-graduate work at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Harvard University and received a Certificate of Advanced Study from the Department of Urban Studies and Planning at MIT. In 1999, he completed the Executive Leadership Seminar at the Aspen Institute.
In 1972, Huntley was granted a research internship opportunity at Research Atlanta, Inc. to focus on taxation and municipal finance issues in Atlanta and the metropolitan area. This opportunity enabled Huntley to perform policy work where he first entered politics as a volunteer in the 1973 mayoral campaign of Maynard Jackson, who became the first Black mayor of Atlanta. Following Jackson’s election, Huntley served from 1974 to 1982 as special assistant to Mayor Jackson, and was later appointed Deputy Chief Administrative Officer for the City of Atlanta and then Chief of Staff for the Mayor. As Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, he helped plan such projects as the expansion of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and other major projects in the City.
Huntley worked as a consultant during the administration of Harold Washington, Chicago’s first African American mayor. He also held cabinet positions within the administrations of two other Atlanta mayors: Andrew Young, and William Campbell. In 1986, Mayor Young appointed Huntley to serve as President of the Atlanta Economic Development Corporation (now Invest Atlanta) where he served from 1986 to 1997. Huntley also served on the Bid Preparation Committee for the 1996 Atlanta Summer Olympics and he was a board member for the 1996 Paralympic Games in Atlanta.
In 1997, Huntley founded and served as President of Huntley Partners, Inc. a development advisory firm that specialized in providing market analysis and implementation plans for public/private development. Huntley Partners, Inc. was later acquired by CHA Consulting, an international engineering consulting firm in New York. Huntley was a partner in the firm and served as CHA’s Senior Vice President and Director of Strategic Client Development from 2013 to 2015. Huntley continues to provide economic development consulting services as President of Huntley & Associates.
In 1996, Trinity University honored Huntley as the 1996 Distinguished Alumnus of the Year. Huntley has also been recognized for his athletic achievement. He is a former member of the UPI All-Texas Football Team, an Associated Press Small College Football All-American, a draftee of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and a member of the Trinity University Athletic Hall of Fame. In 1997, at the request of former President Ron Calgaard, Huntley became the first African-American Trustee of Trinity University. For more than two decades, Huntley has served on the Board of Trustees, including serving as Chairman of the Board for two years from 2010 to 2012. Additionally, Huntley has served on boards for a number of organizations. including The Fox Theater, Rabun-Gap Nacoochee School, the Georgia Department of Community Affairs, and the Georgia Cities Foundation.
Huntley resides with his wife, Joanne Doddy Fort, in Atlanta. Huntley has one daughter, Tyeise Huntley Jones, who works for the Chicago Public Schools and is married to the Honorable Daryl Jones, a judge on the Chicago Circuit Court; they are the parents of two boys – Justice and Chancellor.
- Corporate body
The oral histories were conducted by the Women’s Intercollegiate Athletics Committee, beginning in fall of 2017 to provide greater insight into the pre-1982 history of Trinity women’s intercollegiate athletics. Committee members include university historian and professor emeritus R. Douglas Brackenridge, retired physical education professor Shirley Rushing Poteet, university archivist and records manager Jessica C. Neal, alumna and former athlete Betsy Gerhardt Pasley (1977), and senior reference librarian Meredith Elsik. This oral history project endeavors to create an archival collection that captures the recorded spoken memories of alumni, faculty, staff, and administrators. This project also seeks to collect publications, past audio and video interviews, photographs, and memorabilia that document women’s athletics at Trinity.
- Corporate body
The Trinitonian (1900-present) is the weekly student-run newspaper of Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas. First published under the name Trinity Exponent (1888-1900), the periodical traces its history to 1888, when a number of campus literary societies banded together to launch a monthly magazine exhibiting student creative work in fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. At that time, such literary societies (and their related publications) afforded students a rare opportunity to express ideas and opinions outside of the classroom. In 1900 the Trinity Exponent was renamed the Trinitonian, and by 1915 it had evolved into a weekly newspaper that covered campus news and calendar information, as well as some local and world events. Currently, contributions to the Trinitonian are open to the university community, but staff is comprised primarily of Trinity students. The publication features campus news, political opinions, literary works and criticisms, and advertisements.
Sigma Theta Tau is a local sorority on the Trinity University campus in San Antonio, Texas. Founded in 1955 as the Kampus Kubs, the organization initially served as a two-year social and service club for sophomore and freshman women. In 1957, the Kampus Kubs expanded into a four-year club for women in all class years and adopted as its name the Greek letters Sigma Theta Tau--a designation that incorporated the concepts of sofía, thárros, and timí in Greek, or “wisdom, courage, and honor.”
Participation in the organization fluctuated in the 1960s with members graduating, marrying, or leaving Trinity to pursue their studies at other universities. In 1966, the smaller Kappa Psi Omega sorority, which faced similar recruitment and retention challenges, merged with Sigma Theta Tau to form one larger club. This new arrangement retained the name and traditions of Sigma Theta Tau, including the group’s blue, silver, and white colors and its signature star and white carnation (or later, rose) symbols. Today the sorority sponsors Trinity campus activities and service projects in the San Antonio community through its membership of over fifty women students.
- Corporate body
Margaret L. "Peg" Ziperman was born in Clarksburg, West Virginia, in 1915. She received her bachelor's degree at American University and completed graduate work in English Literature at Indiana University. She later earned a second graduate degree in Library and Information Science.
As the wife of an officer in the Army Medical Corps, Dr. H. Haskell Ziperman, Peg had the great fortune to live in many locations and travel the world over. It was during these travels that Peg began to collect postcards documenting the places she visited, as well as those she did not.
Peg spent much of her retirement as a volunteer librarian at the McNay Art Museum Library in San Antonio, Texas. She was a member of the Friends of the McNay, a benefactor of Trinity University, a member of the Board of Directors of the San Antonio Chamber of Music Society, and a member of the Alamo City Theatre Board of Volunteers. She passed away in 2017 at the age of 102.
- Corporate body
The staff of Trinity University Special Collections and Archives will, upon occasion, assemble an artificial collection of related materials to serve as a teaching collection.
- Corporate body
- LCNAF no99015762
Sammye Johnson is Professor Emerita of Communication at Trinity University. Prior to joining the faculty at Trinity, Professor Sammye Johnson was an award-winning editor and writer for more than a decade. She continues to freelance; since 1985, she has published more than 450 articles in newspapers and magazines and received 19 writing awards. Johnson earned both her BSJ and MSJ at Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism.
She has published more than 20 articles in the top refereed journals in the journalism and mass communication field and presented more than 60 refereed papers at national and international conferences. She also has contributed 15 chapters to books specifically dealing with magazine publishing in the United States.
She is a founding co-editor of The Image of the Journalist in Popular Culture Journal (The IJPC Journal), a refereed academic journal that premiered in 2009 and is published by the University of Southern California Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism.
She also gives workshops on a variety of editorial and design topics and consults with editors and art directors wanting to modify, reposition, or revive an existing publication.
- LCNAF no96056831
- Corporate body
- LCNAF no93072514
- LCNAF no82219622
Dr. Marion Oettinger, Jr., is the Curator Emeritus of Latin American Art and the former Kelso Director of the San Antonio Museum of Art. Oettinger received his B.A. in Anthropology from the University of the Americas, Mexico, and his Ph.D. in Anthropology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He also studied at the Monterrey Institute of Foreign Studies, Monterrey, California, and the University of Pittsburgh. Oettinger has lived and worked in various parts of Latin America and Spain for more than 25 years and has conducted research among groups in Mexico, Central and South America, Spain and countries of the Caribbean. A cultural anthropologist and art historian specializing in Latin American art and culture, he has lectured throughout the United States, Europe, and Latin America. He has taught at Cornell University, Occidental College, and the University of North Carolina and is the recipient of Fulbright Hays, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Endowment for the Arts, National Geographic Society, and American Philosophical Society grants and the 2010 Van Deren Coke Lifetime Achievement Award in Spanish Colonial Art and Folk Art. Oettinger joined the San Antonio Museum of Art in 1985 as Curator of Folk Art and Latin American Art, later serving as Senior Curator of Latin American Art (1994-2004, 2011-2018) and Betty and Bob Kelso Director of the San Antonio Museum of Art (2005-2011). In 2018 Oettinger became the Curator Emeritus of Latin American Art at SAMA. He resides in San Antonio, Texas.
- LCNAF no82147188
- Corporate body
San Miguel de Allende is a municipality in the eastern region of Guanajuato, Mexico. The area was the site of a Chichimeca village called Izcuinapan prior to Spanish colonization in the early 16th century. The current town was founded in 1555 by Bernardo Cossin, and named San Miguel el Grande. By the mid-18th century it was one of the largest settlements in New Spain, with a population of over 30,000 residents. San Miguel was central to the Mexican War of Independence in the early 19th century; the town was renamed San Miguel de Allende in 1826 in honor of revolutionary hero Ignacio Allende.
- LCNAF no79134897
Ronald Hilton was born in Torquay, England, in 1911. He received both his BA and MA from Oxford University, and studied at the University of California-Berkeley. Hilton's teaching career began at the University of British Columbia; he joined the faculty at Stanford University in 1942. Hilton founded the Institute of Hispanic American Studies at Stanford in 1948. The institute published the Hispanic American Report, a monthly journal about the Spanish-speaking world, and broadcast radio programs. In 1965 Hilton founded the World Association of International Studies, where he edited the World Affairs Report, a quarterly journal featuring commentaries on world news. The journal went on to become the first journal in any field to appear in its entirety online when Hilton began publishing it on the world wide web in 1983. Outside of his scholarly pursuits, Hilton played an influential role in uncovering the secret preparations for the Bay of Pigs invasion, when he reported that it was an open secret in Guatemala that Cuban ex-nationals were training there to overthrow Fidel Castro. His report was published in The Nation, and led to the New York Times's investigation into the matter. Hilton passed away in 2007, and was survived by his wife, Mary Hilton, and his daughter, Mary Huyck.
- LCNAF no2012056489
ZerNona Stewart Black (February 7, 1906-January 24, 2005) worked extensively with service organizations, with her husband in civil rights activities, and fulfilled the many duties of a pastor’s wife. Originally from Muskogee, Oklahoma, a YWCA assignment in 1943 brought her to San Antonio to run the local Negro USO Club. She met Reverend Black shortly after her arrival, and they married in 1946. She was an educator, teaching college courses and Mount Zion First Baptist Church bible school programs. Mrs. Black received a speech and education degree from Emerson College, Boston, Massachusetts and later pursued graduate courses at various universities, including Trinity University. She taught at Langston College in Langston, OK, and at St. Philip’s College in San Antonio.
She co-founded Health, Inc., an elder daycare agency, as well as a local chapter of Jack and Jill, Inc., promoting programs for African American youth. She was Executive Director of the Eastside Senior Citizens Project, and helped to run Project F.R.E.E. (she kept the records of Project F.R.E.E. and Health, Inc., two church-affiliated organizations). She headed the church drama ministry and numerous church councils. She worked as a YWCA Chairman and as a volunteer and youth supervisor with the Guadalupe District Baptist Association. She received many honors and awards for her generous service to the church, seniors, women and mothers, children, and to the community at large.
- LCNAF no2012042284
Claude William Black, Jr. (November 28, 1916- March 13, 2009) was one of San Antonio’s most indefatigable advocates for the equal rights of African Americans. He graduated in 1937 from Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA, and earned a Master Of Divinity degree at Andover Newton Theological School, Newton, MA, in 1943. He attended Trinity University in the early 1970s in order to complete graduate coursework in the Urban Studies department. Records documenting the following aspects of Reverend Black's life are included in the collection.
Ministry: In 1949, Reverend Black became pastor of the Mount Zion First Baptist Church, and served there for 49 years until 1998, after which he continued as Pastor Emeritus. He returned as interim pastor from 2005-2008. He created service organizations for the elderly, the poor, and the hungry, and started the first African American, church-owned credit union, Mount Zion Federal Credit Union. In the 1950s and 1960s, Reverend Black and other African American community members staged peaceful, civil rights protests that led to integration of lunch counters at local motels and at Joske's Department Store, theaters, parks and other public spaces. Reverend Black belonged to multiple religious organizations, such as the San Antonio Council of Churches and the San Antonio Ministers Association. One of these, the Baptist Ministers Union, was very active in church-related civil rights actions, one of which the scrapbook about the Billy Graham Evangelistic Rally (July 25, 1958) fully documents.
Politics: From 1973—1977, Black was elected City Councilman for the City of San Antonio and was appointed as the first African American Mayor Pro Tem. He was invited by President Lyndon Baines Johnson in 1966 to participate in the White House Conference on Civil Rights and by President William Jefferson Clinton in 1995 to participate in the White House Conference on Aging. The scrapbooks in the collection are especially focused on Reverend Black's political campaigns and concerns.
Community: Black served on boards and committees with numerous community organizations, particularly those that would benefit the traditionally African American East side of the city. He was often invited to speak at civic and ceremonial events, as can be seen through the letters of invitation in the correspondence and letters section. Reverend Black received certificates and proclamations in his honor throughout his life that acknowledge his prolific activity.