Name and location of repository
Level of description
- 1974-1991, undated (Creation)
Name of creator
Sigma Theta Tau is a local sorority on the Trinity University campus in San Antonio, Texas. Founded in 1955 as the Kampus Kubs, the organization initially served as a two-year social and service club for sophomore and freshman women. In 1957, the Kampus Kubs expanded into a four-year club for women in all class years and adopted as its name the Greek letters Sigma Theta Tau--a designation that incorporated the concepts of sofía, thárros, and timí in Greek, or “wisdom, courage, and honor.”
Participation in the organization fluctuated in the 1960s with members graduating, marrying, or leaving Trinity to pursue their studies at other universities. In 1966, the smaller Kappa Psi Omega sorority, which faced similar recruitment and retention challenges, merged with Sigma Theta Tau to form one larger club. This new arrangement retained the name and traditions of Sigma Theta Tau, including the group’s blue, silver, and white colors and its signature star and white carnation (or later, rose) symbols. Today the sorority sponsors Trinity campus activities and service projects in the San Antonio community through its membership of over fifty women students.